Name:
Location: Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Still looking for a roofer...

So I absolutely hate the "manly-men" type that figure I don't know squat on topics like tools, football, what it takes to do repairs, car stuff, fair prices on cars, etc. They belong in a pretty low level of hell, too.

I don't know how many roof guys I've had who try to tell me that lifetime warranty architectural shingles cost 3 times more than the 30 year architectural shingles (I went to Lowe's, priced out the Owens-Corning ones for the 30 and the 50. Each bundle costs about a dollar more for the 5o year/lifetime shingle than the 30 year shingle. BUT you also need to consider that the 30 year architectural shingles are 3 bundles to a square while the 50 year/lifetime shingles are 4 bundles to a square. So for a hypothetical 10 square roof and a hypothetical $20 per bundle for the 30 year is (20*3*10) or $600. Same roof using the 50 year/lifetime shingle at $21 per bundle is (21*4*10) or $840. A difference of $240. If you are generous with your rounding, we'll round up and call that an extra $300, which is only 50% more expensive. (It's actually 40% more if we don't round, but that makes this guy look more like an idiot.)

I'm quickly eliminating the contractors who figure I don't know what I'm talking about, the ones who don't walk the roof for themselves, and the ones that try to sell me more than what I want. I can appreciate a suggestion, but when I either turn you down flat or ask for it priced separately, you better leave it at that and stop pushing.

So we have two guys who priced the whole roof without listening to what we wanted and didn't come when we were home, the too-low-for-comfort price, the too high to be real price, the "this sounds good" price who's no longer registered in RI and has all kinds of complaints with the BBB, the guy who doesn't speak enough English, the kids my age who are pretty darn pricey themselves, the guy who 'employs' his dog, and the guy who wanted to re-roof every structure on the street. I don't like any of them. Tomorrow is Mr. "I will probably be the most expensive quote you get" who didn't call me back until the 4th time I called his company and name dropped.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the GPS, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://gps-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Massagem, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://massagem-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home